Jobs that offer flexible work options are increasing and available in a wide variety of industries.
Job site FlexJobs analyzed job listings from the past year to identify the top 10 career categories in which the number of flexible job listings has increased significantly – more than 20 percent. Accounting & Finance, Advertising & PR, and E-Commerce are among high growth fields, and they are likely to be strong flexible job categories in 2018 as well.
“Work flexibility has many proven benefits and even more anecdotal benefits – including less stress, better health, higher levels of job satisfaction and engagement, and reduced burnout – so it’s not surprising to hear that job seekers are increasingly interested in finding a flexible job,” said Sara Sutton Fell, founder and CEO of FlexJobs.
Employers are meeting the demand for flexibility. Sutton Fell indicates that FlexJobs’ database now totals over 49,000 organizations hiring for jobs with remote, freelance, part-time, and flexible schedules, including major companies like Toyota, Macy’s, and Boston Scientific.
Job Categories with the Most Growth
The top 10 flexible job categories that have grown the most since January 1, 2017, plus common job titles within those categories, are:
- Editing: copywriter, editor, copy editor
- Writing: technical writer, resume writer, writer
- Data Entry: bookkeeper, data entry clerk, in-field quantitative market researcher
- Advertising & PR: event specialist sales, account executive, account representative
- Event Planning: event coordinator, event assistant, event planner
- News & Journalism: new editor, news writer, news producer
- Internet & E-Commerce: social media coordinator, e-commerce manager, digital strategist
- Account Management: account manager, account executive, sales representative
- Computer & IT: IT project manager, systems engineer, business analyst
- Accounting & Finance: staff accountant, bookkeeper, accounting clerk
Other Flexible Jobs
FlexJobs also shares some surprising flexible jobs, for which companies are currently hiring:
- Investigator – Civil Rights
- Reservoir Navigation Specialist (Drilling Services)
- Television Opinion Writer
- Clinical Neuropsychologist-Behavioral Med Practitioner
- Crypto Currency Editor and Trader
- Traffic Engineer
- Career Pastry Chef Instructor
- Literacy Specialist I
- Space Flight Director
Most Flexible Jobs
The job categories with the highest overall number of flexible jobs listings during 2017 are Medical & Health, Administrative, Customer Service, Sales, and Computer & IT.